Open Source and final milestone

Hi everyone, before I dive in to this week's topic, I wanted to give you guys an update from the PR that was made in my last post.

UPDATE

It seems like they created the issue after the fact. Although, I ended up finding another repository to work on, it was very disappointing to work on a project, painfully set up the environment, spend hours on their code-base and fix just to have the PR blocked due to an already existing PR. This is why I highly suggest that any repository out there include a "Has PR" tag on issues that currently have a PR, or better yet, don't create issues after pull request; rather do it in the opposite way. 

External

For my external issue, to compensate for the mishaps in the last post, I decided to choose moment.js as a repository and work on their issues. I was a huge fan of moment.js from back in 2nd year where we imported their utilities in most of our web-development projects. Having been raised in a multi-cultural family, I utilized my Italian roots to tackle this issue. The two Italian locales contained wrong grammar and was showing up poorly when tested. You can find the PR here.

Having enjoyed working on Moment.js I decided to dive deeper and tackle a bigger issue. There was an issue asking to fix a bug where NaN was being accepted as valid date. Compiling the code, and setting up the environment didn't take long, however making the build for it took quite a while as the repository contains versions of the code spanning couple years. To compile a shippable code, for your PR, you have to complete various steps located in their document. The steps were very easy to follow and comprehensive with many troubleshooting portions. you can find the PR here

Internal

As always wanting to work on web development, and being a fan of Front-End development, I chose this issue to work on. The issue suggests a fix for a search button to be moved from one of the dialogue boxes created by yours truly, to the main Navigation bar. I found this to be the perfect opportunity to create a fun animated search button that morphs into an input and back. Here's the PR and below are the images of what the button looks like. 

Looking forward to more contributions over the holidays.
Cheers and until next time

Comments

Popular Posts